Fitch-Hillis Funeral Home got its early start in 1906 as Greer Funeral Home located in downtown Poplar Bluff. A.W. Greer was the original owner and operator.
In 1937 A.W. Greer and W.C. Croy became partners in the local downtown funeral business. The new name of the establishment was Greer-Croy Chapel.
Later in 1946, Wallace Fitch bought into the business and it became known as Greer-Croy-Fitch Chapel. After Mr. Fitch became a partner the funeral home moved to its present day location on College Street.
He also changed the outside appearance of the building. A few short years later, in 1973, he sold the business to Lyman and JoAnne Brown. Then in 1991, the present owner, Gerald Hillis purchased the funeral home from Lyman Brown. Mr. Hillis then changed the name to Fitch-Hillis Funeral Home, Inc.